Monday, January 24, 2005

Chocolate Shortage

There's not enough chocolate in the city of Chicago. Or at least that's what one commentator would have me believe. After reading my post last week on Chitlin' Circuit ALAN and my earlier post on Chocolate Chasers, it seems that a white 40-something reader of Sex and the Second City was a little annoyed at my honest and accurate negative categorization. He wrote a letter (which I've edited to protect his privacy) to object to some of my views:


Dear Bernard:

I just discovered your site... As a fellow Chicagoan, although a white North Sider, I find your site compelling.

I know there are people out there that are "Chocolate Chasers," and I imagine that you would probably consider me one of them. Because you took a somewhat negative view of the practice in your article, give me a couple of minutes of your time to rebut some of the objections that I sensed from your article.

The Machine Shop episode (see Chitlin' Circuit) is indeed creepy and indefensible, but I couldn't figure out if that was what really bothered you or if white people exclusively (or almost) seeking sex with black men is the issue that offended you-- but I got the feeling it was the latter.

I can only speak to my case. Growing up, I lived on the white side of town but was bussed across town to a mostly black school in an all black neighborhood. When I witnessed the overt racism of the people on the school bus, I began to make friends with the black kids. I was one of the few white kids in a single parent household, so I felt an additional kinship with the black kids-- or perhaps more accurately, a greater sense of alienation from the white kids.

As I grew older, I alternately found myself drifting away and then back toward identifying more closely with black folks. On several trips to Brazil...I saw a different kind of society, one in which blacks, whites, asians, [sic] and others intermingled more freely, both sexually and socially.

When my homosexuality emerged, I at first gravitated toward whites because it was more convenient at that stage of my sexual development. But most of my firends [sic] were still asian, black or Hispanic. As I gained more confidence in my sexuality, I found that the merging of my social and sexual relationships became extra powerful in combination.

You can dismiss people by calling them "Chocolate Chasers" if you'd like, but I also had an 10-year plus co-habitive relationship with a black man, minored African-American Studies in college...and currently work for a school with a large African-American student body.

Next, let's look at reciprocity. Which do you imagine to be more prevalent: gay white men that mostly or exclusively seek the company of black men, or gay black men that only go for white guys? My guess is that a higher percentage of gay black guys look primarily for white guys than vice versa. It's also my experience that within the gay communities of both races, the cross-racial stigma is more pronounced among blacks. Just a guess, based on nothing more than my own experience.

Finally, let's look at the demographic aspect. If you're a gay white guy living in Chicago looking for a hookup or relationship with a black guy, the numbers say that you should seize every opportunity. There are 2.9 million people in Chicago, about 48% of whom are male. So now you're down to 1.392 million. Thirty-five percent are black. So now you're down to 487,000 black men in Chicago. Let's say-- and this is an enormous stretch-- that 5% are gay. Now you're down to 24,360. If you figure that the numbers are spread evenly for every year between ages 21 and 70 (this might lead to some wide discrepancies but at least it seems logical) and you're willing to consider people five years older or five years younger, you're down to 4,971 potential partners.


Now conjecture and guesswork and estimation are really looming large, but let's say that 25% are willing to consider an interracial encounter. We're down to 1242. Maybe a third of those are involved with someone, so now we're down to 820. This means that the entire pool of optimal guys for a gay white man looking for a gay black man in Chicago is 820 people scattered over the 270 square miles of the
city--leaving completely out of the equation factors like politics, musical taste, appearance, education, income, health, common interests, cuddler/non-cuddler, op/bottom, etc. I figure that when those filters are applied, there is one gay black guy left for me in the entire city of Chicago--maybe it's you, maybe not. But you have to give it a try.

Thanks for your time.

Forty-something White Guy (FWG)


Did FWG break that shit down or what? Is he convinced that if he doesn't push up on every black man he sees that he is going to miss out on that "one gay black guy" that is reserved "left" for him? I don't think I have ever heard someone (in contemporary America) give such an economic supply/demand rationale for the exploitation of to date black labor men.

I'll post my response tomorrow.

TO BE CONTINUED

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was thought-provoking and funny as hell all at the same time.

Bernie
www.bejata.com

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can dismiss people by calling them "Chocolate Chasers" if you'd like, but I also had an 10-year plus co-habitive relationship with a black man, minored African-American Studies in college...and currently work for a school with a large African-American student body.See...this is the jackassery people bring among themselves when talking about race relations; quantifying the number of friends you've had, years you've studied, and places you've worked with people outside of your ethnic background doesn't make one informed. It makes you look like a collector. "Just three more Black friends and I can get my honorary ghetto pass!"

Pshhhht. I tell ya.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ryan Canty said...

where do i begin?

love how FWS broke it down..but it still doesnt matter? clearly, he forgot that people have a RIGHT to choose who they date...or who they want approaching them.

Sorry, but I do think it's problematic and QUITE fucked up that the white boy that swallowed your kids also sucked the seed of two other BLACK men you knew...there's a common thread here--BLACK MEN...its clear that you arent adverse to having sexual relationships with white men cause you let one suck you off...

But I think the point that FWS ismissing (or is choosing not to see and instead is just cloaking as "racism") is the simple fact taht so many black men are tired of being constructed as "Mandingoized sexual objects"...Im sorry, but I would have issues with it to if I knew of a white guy who ONLY deals with black men for just sexual gratification, thereby reducing that man or men to nothing more than "fuck pieces"...

And, I'm someone that would date a white man..but, I have no qualms about NOT dating one if he was like the guy you hooked up with...it doesnt matter how many available black men there are in chicago...if brothas arent feeling the swirl, THEY.JUST.AREN'T that isnt racism..that's someone choosing not to be with someone for reasons that are valid and personal TO THEM...FWS or another white man who has issue with your feelings...

and to FWS: im happy for you that you have found sustaining love in a society that doesnt really accept NOR will ever condone men loving each other..but, your working with black kids/minoring in african american studies/dating a black man doesnt make you an expert in the experiences of black men who love othe rmen...

but what do i know? imjust a black man who demands respect in any context I am in with another man--be it sexual, platonic, etc. I dont feel like the guy that that Bernard and his friends hooked up with RESPECTED any of them beyond configuring them as black sexual objects..and that alone is problematic and pathetic in and of itself...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Rod said...

Which do you imagine to be more prevalent: gay white men that mostly or exclusively seek the company of black men, or gay black men that only go for white guys?This was excerpted from A Supply-Side Explanation toward Inter-racial Homosexual Relationships, ed. by FWG.

So he has a beautiful market-driven theory for everything but that statement? Who was this guy--Kinsey?

LMAO
I'm just lovin' the strike thrus, editing and [sic]'s.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Pip said...

Wow. You all are harsh. FWG has a valid point. He knows what he likes and he shouldn't have to justify it. Why he chose to, I'll never know.

Ultimately, I don't care what race a guy is if I find MUTUAL respect and care with him. The only reason I would prefer to be with a man of color is that he "feels my pain." I have a white gay roomate (purely platonic) and he looks at me like I am speaking ancient Greek when I talk about what it is like to be black in a white world (gay or straight). Being black in a gay world is especially puzzling to him because he is clueless to the fact that when we go out (almost exclusively to white bars I might add), the black guys want nothing to do with me because they want a white guy. And the white guys that look at me, see me as some sort of fetish. It is belittling and not very enriching to the psyche.

Having said all that, there is a guy that is really into me right now. He is white and I have been pretty discouraging to him but he keeps coming back. He is so kind to me. He was the only one that checked on me regularly when I had the flu recently. He's a good guy. I don't know if we will have a future or not but he is slowly breaking me down and I don't care about his race. And he seemingly doesn't care about mine.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Ms. Audacity said...

You know... There is a small part of me that feels for FWG... LOL His biological clock is tickin' like a motha-trukka and he isn't going to let any opportunity pass him by... Not in Chicago anyway!

He had me going with that mathmatical breakdown. Almost made me believe it too... That was until he tried to make a play for you Bernard. He tried to rope-a-dope ya and make a play for that ass! Tell him to try that shyt on someone with a G.E.D.!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here