Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Don't Count My Teeth

They brought me here in chains.
They brought you here willing slaves to man.
You, shiploads of women each filled with hope
that she might win with ruby lip and saucy curl
and bright and flashing eye
him to wife who had the largest tender.
Remember?
And they sold you here even as they sold me.
My sisters, there is no room for mockery.
If they counted my teeth
they did appraise your thigh
and sold you to the highest bidder
the same as I.

--Beah Richards
"A Black Woman Speaks"

Dear Forty-something White Guy,

I want to thank you for taking the time to visit my website and for your compliment. Please allow me to respond to a few of your points.


First, let me make it clear that I have no problem with interracial dating or interracial sexual rendez-vous. Neither do I have a problem with a white man finding black men attractive. Frankly, it's none of my business. While I no longer find white/black interracial dating conducive to my current lifestyle--I respect and celebrate people's right and choice to enter interracial relationships. I truly believe that you don't always "choose" who you fall in love with. I also recognize that I wouldn't exist if it weren't for miscegenation--as the vast majority of the African-American population in the US is not African, but mixed race--a fact often lost in contemporary discussions on race.

In addition, while I don't currently choose to date/have sex with white men, there was a time in my youth when race didn't matter to me in partner selection. I have fucked white men, and even loved a white man. But I know that in my current life, I need to be with someone who understands me in cultural ways that a white man in today's society cannot.

So understand, that just because a white guy has interest (relationship, sexual, etc) in a black guy, doesn't make him an offensive Chocolate Chaser. No, a Chocolate Chaser is on a HUNT. He actively seeks black guys. He is only interested in black guys. And he will break his damn neck tripping over himself to get to a black guy. A Chocolate Chaser is a guy who--after I politely tell him I am not interested--insists that his white ass or white mouth is the best; or ignores me and proceeds with agenda telling me, "I just want to be used by a room full of black guys at your party."

But its not really about sex. Chocolate Chasers aren't offensive because they treat black men like sexual objects. Some of the biggest CCs aren't on a fuck spree--they want relationships. Like you, FWG, they are on a search to put some brutha on lockdown (prison pun not intended). But that's equally offensive. Because while they are not treating us as sex toys (necessarily) they are still exoticizing and objectifying us,. The Chocolate Chaser doesn't see black men as individuals. He sees us as objects.

I hear a lot of guys that they don't exoticize black men, "It's just a preference!" No, that's just an excuse. I think that any man--regardless of race--who chooses to date solely outside of his race has deep psychological issues dealing with a lack of self-love and self-respect. I make this statement without regard to race; it is true for a white man, and holds true for a brotha as well. It is not just a preference if you prefer another race over your own (or don't find your own race attractive/dateable), there's a problem.


Let's assume that every statistic that you mentioned in your letter was correct (despite the fact that population is never evenly distributed by age, or that black men are scattered across residentially race segregated Chicago that white guys that exclusively date/seek black men offends me. In many ways I despise chocolate chasers for the very "demographic" analysis that you sent me. After your analysis, you stated, "If you're a gay white guy living in Chicago looking for a hookup or relationship with a black guy, the numbers say that you should seize every opportunity." While you're at it FWG, why don't you open my mouth and count my teeth? As a black man, I am not some commodity subject to your demographic/supply-side economic analysis as you look for the optimal product guy. Black men have been kept, culled and picked over by white men since slavery. And you are carrying on the tradition, albeit with different repercussions.


I find your analysis offensive--even though I know it didn't come from a mean place. But that's what adds the insult to the injury. You thought that it was perfectly acceptable send me a letter that offered an economic consumer based rationale to interracial dating. But did you ever discuss love? Did you ever discuss interest in a person? No, because you are too obsessed with the forest to focus on the tree.

I question whether you seek the love of a good man, or whether you are just bsessed with the opportunity of being with a black man. Maybe if you loved yourself, you wouldn't feel compelled to enumerate your chances of being with a black man, because you would have more options amongst the people that comprise your own cultural awareness and upbringing.

So I don't really feel sorry for you as you are on your hunt for the black mandingo in the 270 square mile concrete jungle that is Chicago. Because ultimately you're not looking for a singlular black man, who is an individual. You're looking for a thing; a black ass dark and shiny mirror that only reflects the image of some fantasy you've conjured in your mind.

Bernard Bradshaw


5 Comments:

Blogger Rod said...

You thought that it was perfectly acceptable send me a letter that offered an economic consumer based rationale to interracial dating. But did you ever discuss love? Did you ever discuss interest in a person?No, he never discussed love. It's a foreign concept.

He can discuss objectification, fetishes, sexual obsessions and low self-esteem. That's why he consulted community planning source material to bolster the weakest link in his argument--that their weren't enough black men to go around. Funny, I have just the opposite problem, LOL.

Great response.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernard-- Thanks for your thoughtful and generally fair response. I'm posting this as anonymous, because I couldn't bring myself to register as FWG.

Your point about you preferring to be with black men right now for cultural reasons was actually the main point of my original email, if you think about it. My contention was that some people prefer at times to NOT be with people of their own race for reasons as valid as the ones you cite. The first 2/3 of my email was about reasons I’ve grown alienated from the gay and straight white communities. I mentioned racism, my own family background, and where and how I grew up. Maybe some of the very reasons you generally avoid white guys are also on my list.

As for the love part, I thought that was clear enough in mentioning the 11-year relationship that I was a part of. The separation occurred due to financial and family problems, and we still talk for 2-4 hours a week on the phone. He’s taking care of my cat. I traveled 10 hours to visit him over Christmas. The distance between us has led to a frustrating, confusing kind of open relationship that we’re still trying to figure out.

I guess it was the demographic breakdown, intended to be a little humorous, that undercut the more serious points that I tried to make before it. I suppose the more subtle point I was trying to make is that it’s hard enough to find someone right for you, but much more so when you feel either generally alienated by or limited to a particular ethnic/racial group.

Lastly, and maybe the only thing I feel might have been a little unfair in your response(s), was labeling me as Fortysomething White Guy (FWG). What’s that? Is the moniker intended to mock or diminish the relevancy of what I wrote? I never mentioned my age in my email, but I mentioned a date that allowed you to figure it more or less. For the record, I’m more than six years younger than one of the stars of the show that inspired the name of your Blog, and eight years younger than some of the principal male love interests on that show.

Nevertheless, thanks for hearing me out, and I appreciate all the responses. I look forward to reading more and posting occasionally (under a more objective nickname).

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, at least the FWG has a sense of humor. He doesn't sound so bad.

FWG: you talking about Kim Cattrall's real age...or her official DOB? LOL

This has been a great thread.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Pip said...

Bernard,

This is well put and thought provoking. I actually had a spirited debate with a friend today over this same topic. Thanks again.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Ms. Audacity said...

You know what B. I love ya! You articulate things that most people think and just don't have the ability to polish up and still get your point across!

You are my hero!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here